Hood College aspires to be a premier, comprehensive liberal arts college by offering its students an excellent and
engaging educational experience that prepares graduates for success.
(Approved June 9, 2016 by the Hood College Board of Trustees)
Through an integration of the liberal arts and the professions, Hood College provides an education that empowers students to use their hearts, minds and hands to meet personal, professional and global challenges and to lead purposeful lives of responsibility, leadership, service and civic engagement.
Statement of Purpose
Hood College prepares its graduates for lives of responsibility, leadership and service by offering an educational
experience that integrates liberal and professional learning in a student-centered environment.
The College's Commitment
Hood College is committed to:
- A meaningful, well-rounded education: Offering high quality undergraduate and graduate curricula that
prepares students for meaningful lives, promising careers and responsible global citizenship; and providing
innovative and rewarding extra- and co-curricular opportunities, including internships, lecture series, field trips,
leadership experiences and athletics;
- Investments in academic excellence: Sharpening the College’s focus on academic excellence by supporting
faculty and staff enrichment, teaching innovation and meaningful faculty and student research;
- Academic innovation: Preserving Hood’s rich heritage in the liberal arts while pursuing new undergraduate and
graduate academic opportunities;
- Building community: Promoting a vibrant campus environment through student life initiatives that support the
academic missions and student success and celebrate diversity and inclusiveness;
- Investments in people: Attracting, developing and retaining the best student and employee talent;
- Regional partnerships: Enhancing intellectual, cultural and social relationships throughout the regional
community by developing partnerships with educational institutions, government agencies and corporations in
the greater Washington, D.C.,-Baltimore region; and
- Preservation and enhancement: Acting as responsible stewards to protect, preserve and enhance the College’s
finances, physical assets and reputation through the strategic management of institutional resources, institutional
advancement and marketing.
- Hope: To believe that everyone can have a positive impact in the
world and that education in instrumental in creating and sustaining hope.
- Opportunity: To fully use one’s talents and skills to realize professional
and personal achievement and to help create and realize opportunities for others.
- Obligation: To fulfill personal and professional responsibilities with
integrity and to be a responsible steward and servant to the betterment of others and this world.
- Democracy: To embrace diversity, foster freedom of thought and
expression, and to promote engaged citizenship both in
self and others.